Technical Writer, Engineering and Product Support
– Poway, CA
TEK84 is a leading supplier of high-technology security products for screening and surveillance. For over 20 years, we have pioneered the use of ultra-low-dose x-ray imaging and developed products that have been brought to market by some of the biggest players in the Homeland Security space. Our technologies rapidly and safely screen for weapons, explosives, drugs, and other contraband. A new product launch has propelled continued growth at our company.
We currently have an opportunity for a Technical Writer (Security Industry) to join our rapidly expanding team. The Technical Writer writes and edits Tek84 product documentation, including, but not limited to, product service manuals, technical advisories, preventive maintenance manuals, preventative maintenance checklists, parts manuals, test documents, and technical procedures.
The Technical Writer creates technical documents for company products (software and hardware), updates existing documents, and frequently collaborates with Engineers and other subject matter experts (SMEs).
- Work with engineers, service technicians, sales and other internal departments to ascertain product documentation requirements. Plan and schedule the development of the required documentation needed.
- Create new and update existing technical installation, operating, maintenance, training, and service procedures for use by end users and internal personnel. Create updates include formatting documents in new templates and updating technical contents. Verify that documents conform to legal and regulatory requirements.
- Create and edit in Microsoft Word, Adobe and/or Visio documents as necessary, applying company formatting to prepare publication-ready documents.
- Research available engineering information and product specifications by meeting with subject matter experts and reviewing existing technical manuals, notes, drawings, and specifications. Learn product functions in order to write effective test documents and produce effective screenshots, photos, and drawings.
- Coordinate document reviews and revisions among managers and subject matter experts.
- Prepare documents for localization in multiple languages and manage translations of publications.
- Prepare documents for final release including creating PDFs, submitting documents for review, creating bills of material as necessary, and releasing documents through the engineering change order process.
- Work with Training department to ensure Product Support documentation aligns with training documentation.
- Submit reports as necessary on the progress of documentation projects.
- Other projects as needed and assigned.
- BA/BS degree in related field such as English or Communications or equivalent military experience.
- 3-5 years of experience in technical writing, editing, and formatting documents. Prior writing experience in medical, semiconductor, automotive or aerospace industries highly-preferred.
- Experience writing for software and hardware products while working as a team member with product support, engineers, document control, and other technical writers.
- Previous experience writing for or interacting with U.S. government agencies such as the Department of Homeland Security and Department of Defense is a bonus.
- Expert ability to maintain product bills of material and configuration management.
- Software proficiency in Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Photoshop for publication is preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Visio, Excel, Microsoft Project, and Microsoft PowerPoint needed.
- Self-motivated, dependable, and work independently with little to no supervision.
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus.
This is a full-time, onsite position. Only direct applicants will be accepted (no agencies).
Tek84 offers employees a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, term life insurance, paid vacation, sick and holiday time off.
Tek84 is committed to equal opportunity and complies with all applicable national, state, and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. We are an eVerify employer.
Visit our website www.Tek84.com to learn more about our products and our company.